By: Matt Rothman
Between injuries and an extremely tough non-district schedule, the Coral Glades boys soccer team is just 3-6 after winning nine games in 2020.
However, with many key players returning and some district games approaching, Head Coach Chris Hawley feels his team is set up to make a run at a District Championship.
“I think we are going to finish strong and carry that into the district playoffs,” said Head Coach Chris Hawley. “We lost last year in double overtime to Marjory Stoneman Douglas and believed we are going to be back in the district final this year and bring home the District Championship Trophy.”
This season, the Jaguars have picked up wins over Western and Cooper City High School by a score of 2-1. Coral Glades then won their third straight with a 3-0 win over Coral Springs Charter but have been outscored 9-1 in their last three games.
They have missed their leading scorer Jonathan Hines for parts of the season, who has scored six goals. Sam Ribeiro is coming back from an injury and has recorded a goal. The Jaguars are also set to have star Johann Morais make his season debut in the new year.
Coach Hawley has been extremely impressed with newcomers Cedric Alce and Matthew Kent. Alce is in his first season after playing for Stranahan High School, and Kent is back after not playing last season.
Goaltender Simon Utrera has also been terrific and has made 43 saves, including 15 in their win against Western.
Coming up, Coral Glades will face Fort Lauderdale High School on Tuesday, January 4, at 6 p.m. Before hosting the District Tournament, they will have four other games, including a rematch against Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator