By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Glades High School football team put up a tremendous effort in their first playoff game in school history but fell up two points shy in their 42-40 loss to Miami Senior High School.
While it was not the result the Jaguars wanted, Head Coach Cam Thomas knows how far this team has come in his two years with the Jaguars.
“We never been here before,” said Thomas. “We set high expectations for us, and I think we succeeded. I think everyone knows that we are a force to be reckoned with in the city and the county.”
Coral Glades could not have gotten off to a better start as junior Calvin Young picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown on just the third play of the game to give the Jaguars a quick 7-0 lead.
They extended that lead as Dylan Knaebel led Coral Glades down the field. He connected with Joell Holmes, leading to a one-yard rushing touchdown to make it 13-0.
Miami got right back into the game with a touchdown. After Coral Glades turned the ball over on their next possession, the Jaguars defense came up with a big stop in the red zone to keep the lead at six momentarily until the Stingarees scored their second touchdown of the game to take their first lead at 14-13.
Coral Glades went into halftime down by seven but scored right away in the second half to tie the game at 20. Knaebel connected on a short pass to Jamari Collier, and the senior went for 80 yards to even the score.
However, Miami regained the lead as their defense returned an interception for a touchdown to make it 26-20. Coral Glades managed to score three more second-half touchdowns, but the Stingarees capitalized on their two-point conversions to lift them to the second round.
The Jaguars finished the season with a 3-2 recond and have high hopes of entering the new season with a solid group of players returning.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.283 Coral Springs Baseball Players 4A State Champions For North Broward Prep
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.16J.P. Taravella Baseball’s Unforgettable Season Ends in Regional Final