By: Matt Rothman
After a strong run in Districts last season, the Coral Springs Charter baseball team had their first game of the season in an exhibition against Spanish River High School Tuesday night in a 3–1 win.
The Panthers return much of their team from a year ago and have 11 seniors who are all expected to make an impact this season from a team that went 13-6 in 2019.
Leading them is shortstop Justin Chung, who is likely to hit in the middle of the order. He had one of the team’s nine hits as the Panthers scored all their runs in the third inning against Spanish River.
Brayden Virgins, Joey Campbell and Gavin Conticello, had RBI’s as Head Coach Charlie Fine has confidence going into the season.
“We have a lot of seniors, so I’m hoping we can score a few runs and keep our opponents offense to a minimal with all of our pitching,” Fine said.
Chris Kahler will highlight the Panthers rotation. A season ago, Kahler had three wins and a save while pitching to a 3.16 earned run average.
He got off to a great start this year by throwing three hitless innings and striking out five.
Fine is also confident in handing the ball to many other pitchers, including A.J. Prendergast and Glen Warden. Both of those pitchers appeared in their exhibition game on Tuesday and threw strikes.
CSC will begin their season on Thursday, February 20, on the road against Highlands Christian Academy at 7 p.m. and then will have their home opener the next night against Berean Christian High School at 6:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.23Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Honored on Senior Night of Football Game
- News2021.10.23Coral Springs Charter Football Game Ends in Tie Due to Lack of Lighting
- News2021.10.23Coral Glades Football Silences Critics With Important Win Friday Night
- News2021.10.22Coral Springs Charter Girls Swim Team Shines At BCAA Championship