By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella boy’s basketball team defeated Marjory Stoneman Douglas Tuesday night to advance to the District Finals after a 78-61 win.
The Trojans, who dealt with some off-the-court issues this season, won 14 of their 17 games they played but had two games which they forfeited, which resulted in losses to Coral Springs and Coral Glades High School to make them 14-5 in the regular season.
It was the second time this year that they won against MSD, as they also had a 71-67 win on December 13.
They will be moving on to play Deerfield Beach in the finals after they defeated Coral Springs High School 69-66 in the other semifinals.
Despite playing in the same division, these teams did not meet this year. Deerfield Beach secured the first seed with its 16 wins this season. The winner of this game will automatically qualify for Regionals.
The game will be held at Monarch High School on Wednesday, February 12, at 6 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.27J.P. Taravella Pitcher Jack Sinclair Signs First Pro Contract
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft
- News2021.07.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Aidan Minott Reveals College Decision
- News2021.07.27Coral Springs’ Outfielder Caleb Roberts Officially Goes Pro