By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella boy’s basketball team defeated Marjory Stoneman Douglas Tuesday night to advance to the District Finals after a 78-61 win.
The Trojans, who dealt with some off-the-court issues this season, won 14 of their 17 games they played but had two games which they forfeited, which resulted in losses to Coral Springs and Coral Glades High School to make them 14-5 in the regular season.
It was the second time this year that they won against MSD, as they also had a 71-67 win on December 13.
They will be moving on to play Deerfield Beach in the finals after they defeated Coral Springs High School 69-66 in the other semifinals.
Despite playing in the same division, these teams did not meet this year. Deerfield Beach secured the first seed with its 16 wins this season. The winner of this game will automatically qualify for Regionals.
The game will be held at Monarch High School on Wednesday, February 12, at 6 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.09.08Gavin Conticello: Coral Springs Charter School’s Sensational Senior
- News2020.07.07Coral Springs Resident Coby Mayo Inks Deal with Baltimore Orioles
- News2020.06.17Eric Windell Named Coral Springs Charter Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
- News2020.06.12Coral Springs’ Coby Mayo Drafted by Major League Baseball