By: Matt Rothman
After a strong season from the Coral Springs Charter School boys and girls varsity bowling team, each will advance to the State Championship on Nov. 6-7. For the girl’s team, they will be looking for their second consecutive title following their win last season. They also had had one individual title in 2017 by Crystal Singh.
Led in part by Katarina Hagler, Coral Springs Charter’s bowling team advanced to their seventh consecutive state championship following their first-place finish last week in the District Finals.
Hagler, an eighth-grader, has set a Broward County and state record for an average score at 229.9 and has led the team most of the season. She has scored nearly higher 40 points higher than her county record last season and is in second place among all boys and girls in Broward County.
She began her season with nine straight strikes before knocking down all but one pin on the final frame settling for a 271. However, she would top that in Regionals, as she finished her three rounds with a first-place performance finishing at 746 through three rounds. In her final round, she bowled a 288 for her season-high.
Hagler is excited for states, as her team hopes to keep up the momentum.
“It’s not really about me, but more about the team,” said Hagler. “We’re having so much fun together, and honestly, the thing I’m most happy about is that our season is still going, and I still get to come out and bowl with everybody.”
The Panthers had four other players participate in regionals with Madison Foster finishing second on the team and third overall with a score of 553. She had a 206 in her first round before closing out her final two rounds below 200.
Larkin Kramer and Kiara Miekle each scored had scores in the 500’s and Emily Rambus only played in two rounds and had scores of 125 and 98.
After a strong performance from the boys in the district championship, they will also head to the state championship on November 6.
Andysson Alleyne had the high-score of 638 through the three rounds, eclipsing 209 in all three rounds and has had a terrific year leading the team in almost every category, including his 289 earlier this season. He finished sixth overall in the district last week.
Mason Purcell was the lone Panther to score above 600 and had rounds of 208 and 213 to finish off his day. Derrick Lai, Nathan Whaley, and Tyler Harris were the three other players to compete and had scored 576, 570, 565, respectively, helping CSC finish in first place.
Head coach Andy Groothuis was incredibly proud of his team but happier that they enjoyed themselves in such a big event.
“I fall back on my main rule as a coach: have fun. I want them, more than anything, to enjoy this, because what’s the point otherwise? Winning is a thrill, but if you don’t have fun doing it, how long can that thrill possibly last,’’ said Groothuis.
Six of the seven players on the team have had rounds of 200, including Mason Dalton, who did not participate in districts. Sophomore Sahil Talwalkar also was a member of the team this year and had an average score of over 100, helping to contribute in many matches.
State championships take place in Orlando at the Boardwalk Bowl Entertainment Center.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- Schools2020.02.26J.P Taravella Basketball Makes History Playing in First Regional Semifinals Game
- News2020.02.25Coral Springs High School Baseball Throw No-Hitter in Win over Hollywood Hills
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Volleyball Begin Season with Win
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Tennis Win Second Match of the Season