By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter softball standout Kate Maston has committed to playing college softball for Florida Gulf Coast University.
Maston became the second student-athlete in the last two years to commit to FGCU, joining Anna Mariano from the girls soccer team.
“It feels great, and I’m really excited,” Maston said. “I can focus on school and my senior year.”
At the age of five, she joined the Coral Spring Rec League to play baseball. Within two years, she transitioned to travel baseball. Maston started with the South Florida Inferno and later switched to Davie Elite before playing in high school.
During her sophomore year, Maston was convinced to try softball for the first time by Coach Mark Montimurro and Brianna Godfrey. Maston played baseball and softball as a sophomore before fully transitioning the following year.
In her career, she is a lifetime .416 hitter with nine home runs and 41 RBIs.
The Panthers are coming off a season where they won a District Championship and reached the final of Regionals before picking up their first loss of the season in their 28th game.
After playing under one of the top high school coaches in the country, Maston chose FGCU, feeling it was the right school for her. She’s excited to play for another great coach, David Deiros.
“Very proud that Kate transitioned from baseball to softball and has found a home at a Division 1 school,” Montimurro said. “She’s worked hard and deserves all good things that come her way.”
FGCU competes in the Atlantic Sun Conference and is coming off a season where they went 32-26. They have been in the NCAA Tournament 4 times and have not been there since 2012. Before going to college, though, Maston wants to win a State Championship and improve in every area to be ready as a freshman.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year