By Ryan Yousefi
With COVID-19 cases spiking all around the state, Coral Springs Talk continues providing updates from the Florida Department of Health.
On January 1, there were 110,060 COVID-19 tests conducted in Florida. Out of those, 13,174 returned positive. and 9,752 were new cases.
Data was not shared over the holiday, but current reports indicate a record of 28,254 tests came back positive on December 31, with 21,015 first-time positives.
There were 7,397 positive COVID-19 cases in the City of Coral Springs — an increase of 252 positive cases since we last updated readers on December 30.
Statewide in Florida, there have been 1,354,833 positive COVID-19 cases to date. Florida is one of only three states in the U.S. to have recorded over 1 million COVID-19 cases, with only California and Texas registering more.
The average age to contract COVID-19 in Broward County on January 1 was 44-years-old, a slight uptick compared to previous days. For weeks, the average age of a person contracting COVID-19 in Florida has hovered at or around 40-years-old.
Since the pandemic began, there have been 21,890 deaths to date in Florida due to COVID-19 and a total of 63,148 patients hospitalized due to the virus.
Below are cases sorted by Broward County cities:
Fort Lauderdale 30,912
Pompano Beach 14,198
Coral Springs 7,397
Deerfield Beach 4,041
Coconut Creek 3,224
Pembroke Pines 2,508
North Lauderdale 2,255
Oakland Park 1,914
Cooper City 1,441
Wilton Manors 628
Lauderdale Lakes 588
Southwest Ranches 469
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & Safety2021.04.21Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie Arrested For Perjury
- News2021.03.26COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 26: Coral Springs Crosses 12,000 Case Threshold
- News2021.03.24Coral Springs COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 24
- News2021.03.22Coral Springs COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 22