By: Matt Rothman
Coral Glades High School varsity football has produced another college athlete after running back Keshawn Barrett officially signed to play at Ave Maria University Wednesday night.
Ave Maria is a private Catholic university located in Southwest Florida. Their football program was created in 2011 and competes primarily in The Sun Conference.
Since he was a sophomore, Barrett has been a member of the Coral Glades football team, taking off in his last two years. Barrett rushed for 228 yards in 2019 and added four touchdowns. He then scored another four touchdowns this past year as running back, leading the Jaguars to their first playoff appearance in school history.
“Being at Coral Glades was a great experience,” Barrett said. “I took care of business while having a lot of fun at the same time. I met a lot of new people and created a brotherhood like no other. It was all just great.”
Barrett, a resident of Coral Springs, began playing football as a sixth-grader but quickly blossomed into one of the county’s best players.
For Head Coach Cam Thomas, he knew his star running back had a chance to play college football and wishes he would have been able to play a full season this year after COVID-19 limited their season.
“I’m definitely going to miss him,” Coach Thomas said. “It was definitely a pleasure watching him grow and play these last three years. I believe he’s going to do great at Ave Maria. They got a steal with this kid.”
Barrett is thankful for his family, and his girlfriend, for being extremely supportive. He also credits his coaching staff and his teammates for believing in him.
While Barrett was highly recruited, he felt Ave Maria gave him the best chance to be successful. He will be joining a program that went 3-4 this past season and should make an immediate impact upon arrival next fall.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 8, 202310 Coral Springs Athletes Selected to BCAA All-Star Football Game
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday