By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team won their opening game of the season 5-0 with dominating pitching over Highlands Christian Academy.
Senior Gavin Barnell was given the start and threw five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out 11 batters. Sophomore A.J. Prendergast pitched a scoreless sixth inning striking out two, and Joey Campbell shut the door in the ninth, as CSC recorded 15 of their 21 outs via the strikeout.
Head Coach Charlie Fine was pleased with his team’s effort in their first official game and thought his pitching was the story of the night.
“It was good to get out there and get the guys on the field playing regular-season games,” Fine said. “We competed, and if we can do that, we are going to be a very tough opponent.”
Offensively, CSC only had seven hits but took advantage of four errors from Highlands Christian to score their five runs.
The Panthers scored their first run of the game in the second inning on a passed ball to take a 1-0 lead.
They then doubled their lead on a beautiful safety squeeze from Glenn Warden to make it 2-0 in the fourth inning.
CSC scored two more runs in the fifth on a sac fly from Nick Giglio and RBI single from Leo Beltran and ended up scoring one more run in the seventh to increase their lead in the win.
Up next, the Panthers will come home for their home opener on Friday, February 21, at 6:30 p.m. CSC will be playing Berean Christian School from West Palm Beach, who is 1-1 on the season and lost Thursday night to Lake Worth Christian School 8-7.
Friday’s home opener will be deemed a blackout in what will be the first of 10 home games this season after much success playing in Coral Springs last year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.29Leonard Weaver Leads Coral Springs High School to First Playoffs in 6 Years
- News2020.11.28Coral Springs Charter Football Advances to Playoffs For 2nd Time in School History
- News2020.11.28Coral Glades Football Advances to Playoffs for the First Time in School History
- News2020.11.27Coral Glades Colton Eisenberg Donates Dollars for Charity with Every Successful Kick