By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team won their opening game of the season 5-0 with dominating pitching over Highlands Christian Academy.
Senior Gavin Barnell was given the start and threw five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out 11 batters. Sophomore A.J. Prendergast pitched a scoreless sixth inning striking out two, and Joey Campbell shut the door in the ninth, as CSC recorded 15 of their 21 outs via the strikeout.
Head Coach Charlie Fine was pleased with his team’s effort in their first official game and thought his pitching was the story of the night.
“It was good to get out there and get the guys on the field playing regular-season games,” Fine said. “We competed, and if we can do that, we are going to be a very tough opponent.”
Offensively, CSC only had seven hits but took advantage of four errors from Highlands Christian to score their five runs.
The Panthers scored their first run of the game in the second inning on a passed ball to take a 1-0 lead.
They then doubled their lead on a beautiful safety squeeze from Glenn Warden to make it 2-0 in the fourth inning.
CSC scored two more runs in the fifth on a sac fly from Nick Giglio and RBI single from Leo Beltran and ended up scoring one more run in the seventh to increase their lead in the win.
Up next, the Panthers will come home for their home opener on Friday, February 21, at 6:30 p.m. CSC will be playing Berean Christian School from West Palm Beach, who is 1-1 on the season and lost Thursday night to Lake Worth Christian School 8-7.
Friday’s home opener will be deemed a blackout in what will be the first of 10 home games this season after much success playing in Coral Springs last year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.16J.P. Taravella Baseball’s Unforgettable Season Ends in Regional Final
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.14Coral Springs Charter Baseball Memorable Season Ends in Regional Semifinals
- News2021.05.14Coral Springs Charter Softball Falls Short of 6th Straight State Championship