By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter softball has definitely set the bar high after winning five straight State Championships; however, the Panthers’ quest for a record sixth straight championship fell short as Oxbridge Academy beat them in the Regional Semifinals on Tuesday.
The Panthers led most of the way but let the game slip away late for only their fourth loss all season.
For one of the most successful coaches in high school softball, Mark Montimurro felt they could never reach their full potential.
“We needed to be better defensively and more disciplined offensively,” Coach Montimurro said. “Unfortunately, in the biggest moment, we fell short in one of those particular phases. If we want to seriously contend for another state title, we can’t have any exposable weaknesses.”
Still, Brianna Godfrey shined all year, both on the mound and at the plate. She threw four no-hitters this year and had two perfect, perfect games, including one in the postseason. Godfrey pitched to an ERA of 0.35 and went 19-4 in 23 starts this year.
She also hit .531, which was second on the team, only behind Bridget Dunham. Godfrey hit two home runs and drove in 32 runs. Dunham also hit a pair of homers and finished second on the team with 27 RBI’s.
Dunham is among three players set to graduate this spring, along with Vicki Vasquez and Ariana Gonzalez.
The future, though, is bright as Godfrey will still have one more year left. CSC also saw Isabella and Sophia Bertorelli both have strong years. The Panthers were missing Taylor Golden for much of the season but saw Julia Estroff, Addison Michel, Christina D’Agostino, and Alivia Taibl all hit over .365.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.283 Coral Springs Baseball Players 4A State Champions For North Broward Prep
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.16J.P. Taravella Baseball’s Unforgettable Season Ends in Regional Final