By: Matt Rothman
Coral Glades wrestler Carlos Garcia Ruiz became the first Jaguar in five years to advance to the State Championship on Saturday.
After winning the BCAA and District Championship, Garcia advanced to the semifinals after a pair of wins on Friday. He then finished in fourth place to secure his spot in States.
“Carlos has worked his butt off to make it to State,” said Head Coach Cam Thomas.” He was disqualified last year for a skin condition in regionals and took it personally this year. I’m very proud of him, and he deserves it.”
Sine Garcia Ruiz was the only local one to make it to Staes, wrestlers from Coral Springs High School J.P. Taravella and Coral Springs Charter fought hard. Shai Keery and Sebastian Bolt combined to win three matches for the Colts. Abraham Ballesteros, Angel Santiago, Jacob Rosen, Victor Dixon, Chris Cenoble, and Tariq Qaiyim had wins for JPT.
Peter Mocco and Preston Lindsay made it to the semifinals, while Keon Taylor won two matches and finished his high school career with 120 wins. Hunter Perez picked up his 4oth win this year, while his brother Elijah Perez and Owyn Vargas had victories in Regionals.
“I could not have asked for better captains this year in Hunter and Keon,” said Head Coach Eric Perez. “Not only did they help mentor the younger wrestlers on the team daily, but they also led by example. Although they didn’t qualify for the state tournament, they are still champs in my book.”
Next, Garcia Ruiz is set to compete in States on Saturday, March 2-4, in Kissimmee.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coral Springs High School Girls Lacrosse Win 1st Game Since 2021 on Senior Night
- News2023.03.196 Coral Springs Track and Field Athletes Win BCAA Championships
- News2023.03.18Coral Springs Charter Boys and Girls Tennis Defeat Cardinal Gibbons
- News2023.03.17Coral Springs High School Varsity Baseball Wins 4th Game; JV Team Records 3rd Win